Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Great Garlic Gadget

Pin It
We love garlic.  My family often jokes that everything we eat has garlic in it.  That's not necessarily true, but not entirely wrong either.  We really love garlic.

I've tried out a couple garlic gadgets before, only to be disappointed.  The first was when I bought the Zyliss Jumbo Garlic Press.   Great reviews.  Sturdy product.  The only problem was that while the gadget could handle the larger cloves, my arthritic hands could not produce the extra power needed to squeeze the larger press.  That item was re-gifted.

The next gadget we tried was the Chef'n Rolling Garlic Chopper.  It was intriguing.  I don't always want garlic pressed.  Sometimes I want it chopped.  But I had a bit of trouble getting the garlic out of the contraption.  The old-fashioned knife came back out.

So, I was a bit leery when I heard about these plastic tubes that peeled garlic.  I was curious enough to put it on my Amazon wish list in case someone out there noticed and bought one for me.  Yeah, that didn't happen.

Last week, I was ordering from Amazon, but needed to add a small item in order to get free shipping.  I looked at my wish list, and put the garlic thing-a-ma-jig into my cart.  Pressed order without looking back.  Would I regret it?  Had I just wasted $9 on something that would end up at Goodwill?

No-sir-ee-bob!  (Please tell me I'm not the only one to use silly little sayings like this.  Pleeeeease!!!)

I'm soooooo happy to report that the Zak Designs E-Z Rol Garlic Peeler is THE BOMB!  Seriously.  You put a clove in the tube.  Press down (slightly), roll back and forth a couple times until it crinkles.  Take out the clove and voilà!!   IT'S PEELED!!!  How frickin' easy is that?!

I was so excited about this little doo-hickey that I recorded this little video showing how the thing works.  It's low budget, and very brief.  Just enough so you can see how absolutely easy this thing is.
OK, I sound like an infomercial. I know it.  But I really can't stress enough that if you use garlic regularly, you NEED this gadget.  NEED.  Yep, I said it.  Go get one now.  You won't be sorry.

No comments: