Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pig-On-Pig

Pin It
Most people have fancy names for this like, "Bacon-Wrapped Smokies" or even "Bacon-Wrapped Brown Sugar Smokies". But when you get right down to it, it's simply pig on pig. These are not the classiest of appetizers, but I promise if you bring them to a holiday party they will be devoured. Even before the meatballs simmering in jelled cranberry and chili sauce (another trailer park winner that will have everyone talking about what a great sauce you make...but that's for another post...) are half gone, the Pig-On-Pig platter will be empty. Guaranteed.

The secret? Take some pig (that would be Hilshire Farms Lil' Smokies) and wrap with more pig (1/3 - 1/2 piece of bacon). Secure with a toothpick and spread out in a baking pan. Cook in an oven at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven, kick up the heat to 350 degrees, and generously sprinkle brown sugar over the smokies. Place back in the oven until the bacon crisps and the brown sugar is bubbly (another 10-15 minutes or so).

Once out of the oven, place on your finest serving platter, scooping some of the liquid grease (oh, I mean the melted brown sugar!) back over the smokies. Serve hot.

(1 pound of bacon cut in thirds is enough to wrap one package of Lil' Smokies.)

1 comment:

Brian said...

Then dip in chocolate...