Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sesame Chicken Bites

Pin It The Sesame Chicken Bites were part of my big batch cooking session this past weekend. Tonight, I really didn't have anything planned for dinner, so I cooked up some rice, thawed & cooked my frozen bag of marinated chicken, and had dinner ready within thirty minutes. This was the first time trying these, and we'll definitely make them again. They were super easy and very tasty. Not too sweet, not too spicy, but a nice sesame/hoisin Asian flavor.

Sesame Chicken Bites (Cook's Illustrated)

Combine
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut into 2-inch pieces
1/4 C soy sauce
2 TB grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic , minced

Cover and marinate for 15 minutes. *

Place the chicken pieces on skewers**, and brush with
hoisin sauce (about 1/4 C needed)
Sprinkle with
sesame seeds (about 1/4 C needed)

Place on a baking sheet, and cook at 400 degrees*** until chicken is cooked through (about 15-20 minutes).

While cooking, finely chop
4 scallions (green onions)

Remove from the skewers and sprinkle with the green onions.****

Makes about 24 pieces.

So that's how Cook's Illustrated does it. And who am I to change their tried and true methods? Except I usually change something. Here's what I did a little differently:

* If you're wanting to freeze this recipe, as I did, this is your stopping point. Place your chicken pieces and marinade together in a freezer bag, get rid of all the air in the bag, and place it in the freezer for later. When you're ready to make the recipe, defrost the chicken, and continue on with the recipe.

**I cut mine into thin strips and threaded them onto the skewers, alternating with chunks of red pepper.

***As it's still grilling season here (gorgeous day today) we put the chicken right on the grill.

****OOPS. I forgot this step. I even had them chopped up! Still tasted great!

Now....for my vegetarian version:

Sesame Tofu Slices

Combine:
1/8 C soy sauce
1 TB grated fresh ginger
1 cloves garlic , minced

Lay out in a baking dish:
1 package extra firm tofu, cut in 1/2" slices

Pour the marinade over the tofu slices, let it sit for about 8 minutes. Turn over the slices, and let it sit for another 8 minutes.

Brush each slice with
hoisin sauce (about 1/8-1/4 C needed)

Sprinkle with
sesame seeds (about 1/8 C needed)

Cook at 400 degrees, until tofu is heated through.

While cooking, finely chop
4 scallions (green onions)

Sprinkle the scallions over the tofu.


Added on 9/26/08: Tonight I made them and cooked them as directed. The picture above shows an oven-baked skewer. Either way works fine!