Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Monday, April 7, 2008

Crunchy, Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

Pin It
If I had to pick a favorite cookie it would probably be oatmeal. But not just any oatmeal cookie will do. Some are flat as a pancake and are more of an oatmeal crisp. Others are so soft and gooey. My favorite is a crunchy, yet chewy oatmeal cookie.

Crunchy, Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together:
1 C shortening
1 C sugar

1 C light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla


Add in:
1 ½ C flour
1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

Stir in:
3 C raw, quick cooking oats (not instant)

Place drops of cookie dough 1" apart on a cookie sheet. If you are placing them on a cold cookie sheet, they really don't spread too much.

Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 1 minute, then remove to a wire rack to cool. That one extra minute is essential, as the insides seem to firm up.

Makes about 2 ½ dozen.

7 comments:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

Those look really good! I may have to try them.

Marie Starr said...

As Rachel Ray would say, "Oh wow, these look DELISH!"

Mom2Pea-er
Marie

Miss French Jessica said...

Thanks for a great looking recipe. I may have to make these this weekend! :D

Jami said...

I just made these, and they taste great, but they spread a ton and are super thin and flat! I'm a little disappointed about that, but the taste trumps the look.

Jami said...

I just made these, and they taste great, but they spread a ton and are super thin and flat! I'm a little disappointed about that, but the taste trumps the look.

Jerry Mijorg said...

If the cookie spread too much, chances are you're in a higher elevation. The decreased external pressure means your leavening is likely to burst through the gluten structure in the dough, causing your cookies to fall apart. Try adding an extra tablespoon of flour to the recipe, and be careful not to go over on the baking soda.

Dana @ SweetThings said...

These are delish!! Thanks, for a great recipe!