Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Thursday, November 22, 2007

What do vegetarians eat on Thanksgiving?

Pin It
This year it was the infamous Tofurky!

Yes, Tofurky had a spot in our line up of yummy holiday foods. So what is Tofurky? It's a tofu roll stuffed with vegan stuffing. Apparently it tastes just like and has the same texture as real turkey. Some vegetarians might not go for that....they simply don't want to taste something that tastes like meat. My daughter, however, is one of those vegetarians who likes some meat (especially sausage!), but wants an alternative as she's a quiet animal rights activist who chooses not to eat them. And so, in this meat eating family, we make sure there are lots of protein
alternatives...like Tofurky for Thanksgiving dinner!

2 comments:

Angelina said...

It's kind of cute. Did she like it? I don't care to have food that tastes like meat or has the same texture as it but growing up around a lot of hippies, I have to say I've encountered a lot of soy turkeys and it always amuses me.

dg said...

She LOVED it...smothered with gravy. We didn't have the heart to tell her how the gravy was made....Next year I'll be sure to have a vegetarian gravy available for her!

We need to see if these are available seasonally or if Harvest Fresh sells them regularly. Of course, it's always nice to have something "special" on Thanksgiving!