Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Silicone Suction Lids

Pin It I'm not sure when I first heard about this product, but it was on my mind for some time.

A couple months ago, I was walking past our local kitchen store and decided to walk in and see if they carried them. The shopkeeper definitely knew what I was talking about, and she showed me a sample that was out on the counter. She lifted up the lid by the little top handle, and it stuck to the heavy stockpot, lifting it up into the air! COOL!! I went home with two in different sizes.

Lifting stockpots or bowls in the air, while cool, wasn't really what I had in mind. It's not a kitchen conundrum that had me searching for a solution. But I had a feeling these silicone discs had potential. Mainly I was hoping they would be able to act as a secure lid for my stainless steel bowls (or any bowls missing lids for that matter).

I also found they were good splatter covers for the microwave (yeah...but I like a dome shaped microwave lid that's not touching/smooshing my food). Another use is as a drain cover for the sink.

They are a good all purpose, fit any pot or bowl (w/out a spout) type of lid. I've even heard of cooks who tossed out ALL their various stock pot lids and JUST used these silicone lids. (They can also go in the oven up to 500 degrees.) I can see potential with that. It's kind of like putting all your CDs into a zippered flip album, tossing the plastic cases, and freeing up the bookcase. Or even better...putting all your CDs onto an MP3 player and getting rid of the actual CDs. Of course I still can't get rid of my plastic cases, much less the actual CDs, so that might not actually happen....

Back to my original purpose: to cover metal bowls. They do cover well, but in the fridge, the lid is simply resting on top of the bowl. Any movement in the fridge (shoving things aside to reach something in the way, way back...) can push the lid aside, leaving your bowl uncovered. Also, if you are trying to skimp by just getting the large silicone disc as a one-size-fits-all cover, you'll find the overhang on smaller bowls is a bit much.

So, yeah...I go back and forth on this one. Right now I'd rate them a 7 out of 10. But they do have potential for a higher score...especially if I can free up an entire pot lid drawer!! Oooo...casserole lids too.

No comments: